Reset manually edited chart labels to show automatic text
After editing an MSGraph chart's label text, it no longer reflects the values in the chart's data sheet. The chart itself (ie, the bar or line) follows the data in the sheet but the labels no longer change when the data does.
- Select the data series:
- Click its pie slice/line/bar/etc (but not the data label itself) on the chart or ...
- Choose the series from the Chart Objects listbox on the Standard toolbar. Be sure to choose "Series XXX" and not "XXX Data Labels"
- Choose Format, Selected Data series from the main menu bar
- Click the "Data Labels" tab
- In the "Data Labels" area, click "None" (PowerPoint 2000 and previous) or remove the check marks next to the automatic text options you've selected (PowerPoint 2002 and later) then click OK. This turns data labels off completely
- Once again choose Format, Selected Data series, go to the "Data Labels" tab. Re-select your preferred labeling options to turn the data labels back on again. The labels now reflect the data in the data sheet.